This Is What Bon Scott Looked Like [20 Pictures]

Bon Scott signing an autograph in Sydney, Australia, November 1976

Bon Scott, the original vocalist for AC/DC, died 35 years ago. We all know his voice, that miraculous screech that makes classics like “Highway to Hell” and “T.N.T.” pop even now, but we don’t often see pictures of him. There aren’t a ton of them available.

Bon Scott died under mysterious circumstances; after a night of hard drinking, he was left sitting in a car on a London street, and found dead there the next day. Depending whom you ask, he died of asphyxiation, alcohol poisoning, or hypothermia. In an astonishingly smooth transition, Scott was replaced by British singer Brian Johnson, and Back in Black, the group’s all-time best selling album, was released five months after Scott’s death.

Bon Scott, August 1979

The Brian Johnson-era AC/DC — 35 years and counting — is a kickass band with a great vocalist, but without Bon Scott it’s a different beast. It’s not a dangerous band. For all his energy and schoolboy shtick, Angus Young is famous for his sobriety and is often described as shy or reclusive. Johnson, meanwhile, comes off almost like a hard rock Tom Jones. He’s a showman, not a loose cannon.

The post-Scott AC/DC is built for longevity; AC/DC ’74-’80, not so much

Bon Scott

Bon Scott on stage in Hollywood, August 1979.

Bon Scott, though, was a rock star, and a dangerous one at that. According to a recent account, he found his bandmates boring. He drank heavily, he cavorted with groupies, he performed bare-chested in tight jeans that were strangely jacked up to his navel — or maybe not so strangely, considering the apparently giant package he was obviously showing off. (We’re not ruling out a Nigel St. Hubbins-style pickle trick; in some pictures the bulge is simply ludicrous.)

Here are a whole bunch of pictures of a natural-born rock god who died 35 years ago in February, aged 33, and who would have turned 69 this month.

Bon Scott with groupies.

Bon Scott, photo shoot in London, August 1979

Bon Scott

Bon Scott on stage in Hollywood, August 1979.

Bon Scott with Angus Young

AC/DC publicity photo with Bon Scott

Bon Scott with Angus Young, Atlanta, Georgia, 1978

These last two pictures come from Irene Thornton’s book My Bon Scott. Thornton and Scott were married in 1972 — two years before Scott joined AC/DC. In Thornton’s account of their marriage, Scott essentially falls out of love with her as he is falling in love with AC/DC and the rock ‘n roll lifestyle. The two broke up as AC/DC was taking off, but did not divorce until 1978, and remained close friends up to Scott’s death. For more of Irene’s story, see articles at the Daily Mail and Adelaide Now.

Bon Scott

Bon Scott with future wife Irene Thornton. Photo from Thornton’s book “My Bon Scott,” via DailyMail.co.uk

Bon Scott

Bon Scott and Irene Thornton on their wedding day. Photo from Thornton’s book “My Bon Scott,” via DailyMail.co.uk

Published on: July 24, 2015

Filled Under: Music, News

Views: 115780

24 Responses to This Is What Bon Scott Looked Like [20 Pictures]

1. Lars says:

Those “groupies” are dudes.

AC/DC indeed!

2. James says:

But what does Bon Scott sound like?

• Nick says:

He sounds like a Scottish Australian and a good singer he can speak somewhat clearly but he is understandable Go on Youtube and search Bon Scott Interview

• Timothy says:

Like an Angel with his wanker caught in ‘is fly…in other words the greatest Rock ‘N’ Roll singer who ever screamed a lyric

3. Chris says:

There aren’t a ton of photos available? I’ve got over 2000 on my HD. Just gotta look for them.

4. Paul Swindells says:

Bon Scott was a legend lived afull life ina short time. AC/DC are where they are today because of the start Bon gave them
    R.I.P BON hope ur at peace but knowing you your probably still partying.

5. Tracy says:

The post Scott AC/DC w/Brian Johnson is fantastic, that I will agree, however, whom ever wrote this article is so rude to say the “Scott” years were not built for longevity. Most of their most popular songs to this day were first sung by Scott. He lived and died the rock star life.

• B.Lodermeier says:

Had Bon Scott lived, AC/DC would have been a different band today. No one, not even Johnson could replace
      Bon Scott, and he never got the recognition he deserved in life.

• Thrashman75 says:

I thought he was talkin about drinking and partying longevity

6. Peter.Fogarassy says:

Here’s the deal: I’d give any number of post-Scott songs for one relatively less played Sin City…That gives you the story.

• Deftleigh Daft says:

I agree. There is no comparison – in my mind – between Bon Scott and Brian Johnson. I love Brian as a frontman, and the fact that “Back in Black” was released just 5 months after Scott’s death was not only a miracle but a testament to how well his voice and personal style as a singer fit the group. But he always lacked Bon Scott’s playfulness and his ability to talk like a rich snob while simultaneously making a farce of propriety and “civilized society”. Scott makes so many side remarks and innuendos on numerous tracks that offer very telling insight into just what kind of man he was- a mischievous, clever, impish rebel with a wicked sense of humor and an insatiable appetite for fighting, fucking, and terrorizing conservative, proper, well-mannered intellectuals.
      He was so unabashedly, genuinely candid about acting on feelings and desires that 99% of people on Earth either spend their entire lives trying to sublimate into more acceptable forms of expression or eradicate from their psyche altogether- AND he became successful, happy, rich, and laid as a result, while the rest of the world works themselves to death under the unrelenting stress of trying to achieve those same goals by behaving according to what society defines as moral, good, or ethical.

Brian Johnson is a fucking badass and a living rock legend. But he ain’t Bon Scott!

• Bon Scott says:

Wow. You fucking nailed it, man. Right on! I mean, that- that’s me… right there, in that proverbial nutshell! What’s your e-mail?

• Brian Johnson says:

Okay, okay, you lads are riding me enough already. Look man, the thing is, when I write a song or when I’m on stage, I’m just as candidly myself as Bon was candidly HIMself. You can’t base your judgments on what one mas has versus what another does not. That would be like saying, “I like dogs because they aren’t cats”. Apples an oranges, mate.

• Trish says:

I hope to see you in concert someday, If your ever in Toledo.

• Andrew says:

Bottom line. Two best under-rated albums of all time: Powerage and Flick of the Switch. One Bon and one Brian and they both kick a$$. I was too young to have seen Bon live but first time seeing Brian live during the FOTW tour in 85 I swear he could have blown the roof off the stadium without needing the cannons. I love Bon but to.be fair I’m not sure he would’ve transitioned well into the 80’s just as I don’t think Zep with Plant would’ve transitioned well into the 80s without reinventing themselves-and were the next Beatles. Bon and Brian both gave 100%. It’s the old Gillian/Coverdale, Roth/Haggar, Ozzie/Dio, DiAnno/Dickinson arguments….but in this case Brian and Bon are both better than all the others, but hey Angus WTF? Rose?

• Colin says:

Back in Black was released in only 5 months due to Bon Scott having penned most of the lyrics , Bon’s Family were getting royalties for Back in Black according to Jesse Fink in his new book!
        Bon went uncredited on the album by agrement with Bon’s family so Brian would hopefully be accepted as the new singer asap.

Read or Audio Jesse Finks new book on Bon it will open your eyes!

• Kelly says:

Daft: YES YES YES. VERY succinctly put!!!!

• Appollo says:

Well said. .needn’t add more.

7. John says:

To all who compare bon with Brian. I don’t think it was ever a contest between the two and I think it’s also insulting I have a lot off respect for Brian at such short notice to keep the AC/DC motor running ok bon was awesome but Brian kept AC/DC afloat you always have and will rock in my ears keep up the awesome work

8. A.T. Morgan says:

I disagree that Bons music wasn’t long lasting.. When AC/DC plays live, over 50% of those songs are ones he’s written, and i think he wrote at least half the songs on Back in Black. If you take away Bons songs and Back in Black songs, you really can see the writing really is a different style. They just dont have the same quality i don’t think. I saw them live 2x with Bon, been a fan of AC/DC ever since.