20 Pictures of Diana Rigg as the Deadly, Adorable Emma Peel

Diana Rigg as Emma Peel

Less than a month ago, we gave the classic UK spy-action TV series The Avengers a mention because one of its stars, Patrick Macnee, who played John Steed, died aged 93 in his California home.

A happier reason, this time around, to indulge our Mrs. Peel fetish — today (July 20) is Diana Rigg’s birthday. Once again in the TV spotlight, now as Olenna Tyrell on Game of Thrones, Rigg defined a swinging-London badassery during her 1965-68 run on The Avengers. She was also exceedingly easy on the eyes — Mrs. Peel might kick the baddies’ faces in with her kung fu moves or shoot them with one of her many guns, but they probably didn’t even mind.

As further testament to her pulchritude, Rigg was also a Bond Girl, in 1969’s On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, and is the only Bond Girl to ensnare 007 in the blessed institution of matrimony. Of course, she was shot in the head by Blofeld and Irma Bunt just after the wedding, and Tracy Bond’s husband was the much maligned Lazenby-Bond, but still: Rigg was a babe who defined a look, a spirit, and an era.

Happy birthday, Diana Rigg.

Diana Rigg as Emma Peel

Editor’s note: Altough we posted the picture above thinking it to be a photograph at first, we’re pretty sure it’s a painting. The trigger finger, gun and parts of the hair give it away. Here’s what looks to be the original photo, unfortunately we can’t find a larger version:

Diana Rigg as Emma Peel, with Patrick Macnee as John Steed

Diana Rigg as Emma Peel with Patrick Macnee as John Steed

Diana Rigg as Emma Peel with Patrick Macnee as John Steed

Diana Rigg as Emma Peel with Patrick Macnee as John Steed

These last two are great — scans from a 1967 issue of TV Guide that spotlighted the “Emmapeeler” line of jumpsuits based on Mrs. Peel’s wardrobe.

Diana Rigg as Emma Peel

“Here’s that Avenger girl, Diana Rigg, in the grooviest jumpsuit on your TV screen. Called the ‘Emmapeeler’ — after the character she plays — it comes in eight colors and is made of a stretch fabric called Crimplene. T.B. Jones Ltd. of London is the manufacturer.”

Diana Rigg as Emma Peel

“Those giant ‘Avenger’ watches that Diana wears with her jumpsuits also are a British import. They come in various colors and straps, and this spring they started to appear in stores throughout the U.S. They are by Old England.”

Published on: July 20, 2015

Filled Under: News, Popular, TV

Views: 128529

, ,

20 Responses to 20 Pictures of Diana Rigg as the Deadly, Adorable Emma Peel

1. […] gender dysphoria, it might be fair to say I suffered from occasional gender envy. I wanted to be Emma Peel, with my lack of gracefulness those heels would have killed me so it’s just as well I […]

2. John Griffith says:

One of the things that always struck me about me about Diana Rigg as Mrs. Peel is that she is not what you would call a ‘beautiful’ woman. Attractive, yes, but not the classical beautiful woman. Part of her appeal has always been her attitude, (if everyone will forgive me) her ‘I am woman, hear me roar’ way of doing things. Part of why this has always amazed me is that at the time of ‘The Avengers,’ I was a teenage boy, and how many teenage boys do you think would be interested in a woman’s style and grace, rather than how far the front of her blouse stuck out?

And so, happy birthday, Mrs. Peel.

• I am one also and was 14 yrs. old when The Avengers made it into American t.v. .

• Sasha says:

That is a fair comment, although I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As a woman, I will take whatever compliments I can get, it is all good. It helps that I have never considered myself a great beauty, I think this has given me a much healthier attitude overall. Like all the best women, I truly believe my best feature is my attitude. I often get that comment from online admirers.

3. shaun baker says:

can I buy the emma peeler pix

4. Diana Rigg as Emma Peel is the best female character ever !

5. Kudos and admiration fo Dame Edith Diana Rigg, still one of my idols.

6. Kees orsel says:

Diana Rigg for always the best.

7. Guillermo Guglielmetti says:

Brillante serie británica.
    Diana Rigg, en Argentina, donde me encuentro se celebra los 20 de julio, el Día del Amigo, asi que es un buen dia de natalicio para esta extraordinaria actriz.
    Hágole llegar mi cordial saludo extensivo a los fans de esta casi octogenaria belleza que nos conmoviera con su charme inconfundible en Los Vengadores.

8. John Doe says:

I was a wee lad, watching the avengers. Diana Rigg as Emma Peel was my first heart-throb and certainly set me on my hetrosexual path! She was EVERYTHING a boy could want in one smart & beautiful package…

9. Michael says:

I think I am in love with the character Emma Peel than the actress Diana Rigg. There is something about this character that is utterly captivating. Does all the credit go to Ms. Rigg or to the producers, directors , stylus and writers who build this character. Did Diana Rigg decide to wear the black leather catsuit, did she decide to drive a Lotus Elan, did she create the eye on her apartment door for observing visitors, did she create the fact she was an accomplished jujitsu expert? All these things added up in making her and giving her MANAPPEAl. Even though Diana Rigg is physically (flat chested, large overbite, skinny,etc.) not what modern man may consider sexy , for some reason everything fit into making her one of the sexist women of all time (in my opinion).

10. John sidoli says:

What a breath of fresh air seeing Ms Peel after all these years, the perfect 60s girlfriend, butifull complection and hair, poise and facel expretion fashion and ofcourse the Lotus. Thanks for the memories and good luck to you for the future x

11. dec blyth says:

was a 13 year old boy 1965 .mrs peel was and still is the best memory from the sixtees decade .used lots of tissues ha ha

12. John Nordby says:

Emma was too much for any one man but was a wistful wonder woman for me at 20 and still is 50 + years later.

13. christopher uy says:

Emma Peel is the personification of the Modern day British woman, Sleek, Stylish, Strong, not incredibly lovely woman but one heck of a charmer, Hyaa, Judo woman of the 60s….. The Delicious Mrs Emma Peel in one of the avengers episodes said a guest….. Ahhhh….

14. christopher uy says:

15. Michele Varrati says:

Emma Peel was the ONLY kick-ass woman on tv at the time of THE AVENGERS. She completely rocked it and made Emma Peel my hero. Emma Peel was a wonderful role-model girls at that time … women on television were mostly submissive wives and mothers.

16. ROBERT CABRERA says:

Miss Peel, We are needed, what man could resist? Man requires Woman of such stature(isk), I was 12 and taught me that the Elan was heaven,damming all Colonial modes pubuesant transportation, ha!

17. Hola Soy Un Fiel Admirador de Esta Artista ya que cuando Pequeño unos 10 Años Me Enamore de Ella, Favor Enviarme Alguna Información de Ella Muchas Gracias